The dioxin family consists of 210 compounds, of which 17 contain the 2,3,7,8 pattern of chlorination. These 2,3,7,8 containing
compounds are of extreme human health concern due to their high level of toxicity. Similarly, 12 of the 209 polychlorinated
biphenyls have also been identified as human toxins. For this reason, the U.S. FDA and EU have established strict regulations
for the monitoring of food products for human consumption, in particular edible oils.
Manual extractions of oils can be a time consuming procedure often delaying lab turnaround times. By automating the process
with the PowerPrep®, food oil samples can be reliably processed with routine 24 h turnaround times.
Table I: Mean recoveries and deviations for labeled compounds; concentration of blank
- FMS, Inc. PowerPrep®
- FMS, Inc. SuperVap® Concentrator
- Thermo Trace Ultra GC with DFS HRMS
- Restek Dioxin 2, 60 m GC column
- Various oil matrices obtained (lard, olive oil, corn oil, cod oil, red palm oil, unrefined pumpkin oil, unrefined vegetable
- Aliquots of 5 g samples are spiked with 13C labeled surrogate standards
- Automated Multi Column Sample Cleanup
- Automatic Direct-to-Vial Concentration
Analysis of the six matrices processed yielded acceptable recoveries for all analytes with standard deviations below 20%.
Analysis of an n-hexane blank sample resulted in no detectable target analytes measured within the calibration range of each
With a total processing time of less than 2.5 h, the FMS PowerPrep® and SuperVap® Concentrator delivers an efficient, totally
automated sample prep process for edible oils.
580 Pleasant Street, Watertown, MA 02472
tel. (617) 393-2396, fax (617) 393-0194