(1) H.G. Barth and G.D. Saunders, LCGC No. America, Recent Developments in LC Column Technology
30(S4), 46 (2012).
(2) Different names have been used to denote entropically controlled HPLC, as compared to enthalpically controlled HPLC: commonly
used terms are size-exclusion chromatography (SEC), gel filtration chromatography (GFC), gel permeation chromatography (GPC),
and the latest is entropic HPLC (E-HPLC). In this article, SEC is used exclusively as the generic name, while GPC and GFC
are reserved specifically for the separation of macromolecules using organic or aqueous mobile phases, respectively. Because
the term "filtration" is misleading, we recommend against the use of the term GFC.
(3) G.H. Lathe and C.R.J. Ruthven, Biochem. J.
62, 665 (1956).
(4) H. Determann, Gel Chromatography, 2nd Ed. (Springer verlag, New York, New York, 1969).
(5) J. Porath and P. Flodin, Nature
183, 1657 (1959).
(6) J.C. Moore, J. Polym. Sci.
A2, 835 (1964).
(7) L.S. Ettre, LCGC No. America
23(8), 752 (2005).
(8) Synchrom Inc. first merged with Micra, which in turn merged with Eprogen; DuPont Zorbax technology, Varian Inc., and Polymer
Labs are now part of Agilent; Pharmacia is now part of GE Health Care.
(9) K. Wydham, T. Walter, P. Iraneta, B. Alden, E. Bouvier, C. Hudallah, N. Lawrence, and D. Walsh, LCGC No. America, Recent Developments in LC Column Technology
30(S4), 20 (2012).
(10) S. Mori and H.G. Barth, Size Exclusion Chromatography (Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1999).
(11) Tosoh Bioscience, Product Guide: TSKgel HPLC Columns, 59 (2011).
(12) A.M. Striegel, W.W. Yau, J.J. Kirkland, and D.D. Bly, Modern Size Exclusion Chromatography, 2nd Ed. (Wiley, New York, New York, 1999).
(13) B.Kempf, R. Eksteen, and H.G. Barth, LCGC No. America
29(8), 668 (2011).
(14) H.G. Barth and F.C. Carlin, J. Liq. Chromatogr.
7, 1717 (1984).
(15) S.S. Huang, in Handbook of Size Exclusion Chromatography and Related Techniques, 2nd Ed., C.-S. Wu, Ed. (M. Dekker, New York, New York, 2004), p. 677.
(16) K. Cabera, LCGC No. America, Recent Developments in LC Column Technology
30(S4), 30 (2012).
(17) X. Villarreal and H.G. Barth, Am. Lab.
(18) D.A. Egas and M.J. Wirth, Annu. Rev. Anal. Chem.
1, 833 (2008).