Don Shelly, Shawn Ream, and Craig A. Perman, UCT, LLC
Materials and Instruments
- UCT ENVIRO-CLEAN®* 83 mL Extraction Cartridge ECUNI525, (1500 mg)
- Column: Restek Rtx® 5 ms** 30 meter × 0.25 μm × 250 μm
- Hewlett Packard 5890 Series II with a 5971A MSD
- Injector: 250 °C, Oven: 50 °C, Initial 5 min, Final 300 °C @ 6 °C/min, Hold 7.4 min
- MSD detection: Mass range scan: 50–550, EI Mode, Temperature 300 °C
- A 1-liter DI water sample is adjusted to pH<2 using 6N HCl
- Wash cartridge and apparatus using 10 mL of 1:1 ethyl acetate: methylene chloride. Dry by drawing vacuum.
- Condition cartridge by adding 10 mL methanol. Soak 1 min, add DI water then draw through by vacuum.
- Add 5 mLs of methanol to the 1 liter water sample and draw through cartridge at 50 mL/minute. Dry cartridge under vacuum.
- Rinse sample bottle with 10 mL ethyl acetate, transfer to cartridge, elute, and collect.
- Repeat 2 × 10 mL 1:1 ethyl acetate:methylene chloride.
- To dry eluant, filter through anhydrous sodium sulfate. Rinse with 2 × 3 mL aliquots of methylene chloride.
Concentrate under gentle stream of N2 (< 40 °C) to 1 mL for analysis.
Table I: Representative Table of Compounds
(1) Method 525.2 "Determination of Organic Compounds in Drinking Water by Liquid-Solid Extraction and Capillary Column Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry" Revision 2.0, National Exposure Research laboratory, US EPA, 1995.
* Further information on other 525 compounds analyzed with the ECUNI525 cartridge can be obtained from UCT.
** Rtx® is a registered trademark of Restek Corporation, Bellefonte, PA.
2731 Bartram Road, Bristol, PA 19007
tel. (800)385-3153; Email: email@example.com